Chants of Sennaar Walkthrough – Part 1 (Entering the Abbey)
02 Sep, 2023
Chants of Sennaar Walkthrough
- Part 1 (Entering the Abbey)
- Devotee Glyphs: open, close, door, greetings, you, me, man, devotee, warrior, god, hide, seek, go
- Part 2 (Coin and Lens)
- Devotee Glyphs: up, not, free, preacher, death, plant
- Part 3 (Church and Cemetery Puzzles)
- Devotee Glyphs: key, pot, lens, potion, music, instrument, make, abbey, church, cemetery, garden, talk, help, love, see
- All Devotee Glyphs
- Part 4 (Frontier - Disguise)
- Warrior Glyphs: warrior, not, love, death, wait, go, plural, protect, chosen, impure, carry, lay, push
- Part 5 (Observatory, Treasury)
- Warrior Glyphs: duty, weapon, trolley, fortress, treasure, call, help, seek, scientist (+ bottle, crate, small, big)
- Part 6 (Ringing the Bells)
- Warrior Glyphs: big, small, bottle, crate, vessel, instrument, balance, key, sun, moon, bellman, build, music, fear
- All Warrior Glyphs
- Part 7 (Bards' Gardens, Fruits)
- Bard Glyphs: plural, warrior, go/pass, not, beauty, be, love/like, greetings, question, bard, weapon, have, idiot, you, me, seek, find, instrument, music, comedy
- Part 8 (Windmill, Games)
- Bard Glyphs: hammer, pliers, saw, play, ascend, fire, path, windmill, theater, agora
- Part 9 (Theater, Compass)
- Bard Glyphs: book, monster, brother, compass, north, east, south, west, man, free, abbey, fortress
- All Bard Glyphs
- Part 10 (Tunnels, Laboratories)
- Alchemist Glyphs: me, you, plural, find, seek, 1, 2, 3, 4, 5
- Part 11 (Library, Mines)
- Alchemist Glyphs: door, fairy, book, alchemist, bard, brother, gold, silver, copper, carbon, library, refectory, laboratory, mine, death, open, close
- Part 12 (Formula, Transforming)
- Alchemist Glyphs: not, warrior, plant, make, fire, help, 6, 7, 8, 9, 0, transformation, formula, monster, fear
- All Alchemist Glyphs
Stuck in Chants of Sennaar? Check out our walkthrough of Chants of Sennaar to learn how to enter the abbey and validate your first 13 glyphs.
Welcome to the Into Indie Games walkthrough for Chants of Sennaar. This is a story-oriented guide, and while we do cover validating glyphs, we will not always state what a glyph is until it is time to validate it.
For more information on Chants of Sennaar beyond this walkthrough, check out the official website here.
As the game starts, go down the stairs and then continue through the path until you get to a hole in the wall. Go through this hole.
Go right, up the stairs and through the next hole in the wall, which is to the left of the screen.
In the screen with the canals, first go up the stairs and interact with the lever and the signboard next to it. The glyphs you see here will automatically be added to your journal.
You can fill in your interpretation of the glyphs, which you will later have to validate. The signboard says “Open Door” above, and “Close Door” below. You can figure out the glyphs by knowing this.
Regardless, push the lever up and go through the opened doorway.
Go up the stairs to find many levers controlling the water’s flow. Here, the signboard to the right shows you what order the levers need to be in. The correct order is “Open Open Close Open Close Open”.
Interact with the levers so that all the first levers are open, except the third and fifth levers from the left.
Doing so will drain the water ahead, allowing you pass through the canal and then through the doorway ahead. Before you pass through the doorway, you’ll have to fill in what you’ve learned so far.
Here’s the solution in the screenshot below.
Devotee language: open, close, door
Pass through the doorway and then cross the bridge going right. Go up the stairs and through the doorway to meet your first interlocutor.
This one comes up with four glyphs you don’t know. Eventually, one speech bubble will remain that you partially recognise. This one says “You open door.”
Pull the lever on the platform you’re standing on, and your interlocutor will move on to the next platform. Now interact with them to get your next piece of dialogue, which is “Me open door.”
Allow the interlocutor to open the next door, and then proceed to the big flight of stairs on the left side of the screen. Along the way, you’ll pull out your notebook. Check the screenshot below to validate your glyphs.
Devotee language: greetings, you, me
Proceed up the stairs. Follow the mystery person’s instructions and open the door on the platform you’re standing on. The next piece of dialogue is “Me go”, so wait for the person to proceed to the next platform.
Next, you’re instructed to close the door, so do just that by interacting with the lever.
Now it’s your turn to go, so proceed to the next platform via the canal you just emptied. The person will now wait for you to reach them.
Interact with the lever here, and go to the next platform. Then, interact with the lever there as well, and proceed to the leftmost platform.
Push the lever here, and then go to the previous platform you were on.
Pull the lever on this platform to open the canal door and allow the water to drain, so that your screen looks like below.
Now interact with the lever on the newly accessible platform, which is immediately to the left of the robed person. This done, return to the second platform you were on in this area, which you can see below.
Use the lever here to drain the water, and then rendezvous with the robed person at the closed door. Interact with them. Follow them through the door.
You will now enter the upper parts of town. Interact with the relief sculptures on the wall to gain new glyphs. There are five pieces of art, and nine glyphs to obtain. After viewing all of them, you will open your notebook.
Fill up the glyphs according to the screenshot below.
Devotee language: man, devotee, warrior, god
Go up the stairs to the far right in this area to enter a square. Here, talk to everyone you can. Note that the Warriors have their own different language, which is catalogued separately in your notebook.
The person sitting on the bench will play a card game with you. In this game, you must draw the ‘more powerful’ card than your opponent. The cards are, in ascending order of power, Man, Devotee, Warrior, God.
You should also go down the stairs in the northeast corner of the square to find a teleportation terminal. You have to interact with the terminal once to activate it. That said, you can’t go anywhere with it right now – you’ll have to uncover other terminals to actually teleport to and fro.
Return to the square when you’re done activating the teleporter.
To proceed, go down the stairs to the lower-right of the screen.
In the new area, continue right and proceed through the archway opposite the locked pink door. A small cutscene will play here.
After the cutscene, go back through the archway to chase the kid. Return to the main square now and look to the upper-right of the screen for the kid, who is hiding next to a tall jug. Interact with the kid.
Now go back to the area with the relief sculptures. The kid can be found to the left of the fountain, hiding behind a pillar.
Now go back to the main square and go through the stairs going to the lower-right of the screen. Take the stairs going down to find the kid hiding between a door and a tall jug.
You’ll now pull out your notebook. Fill it up as shown below.
Devotee language: hide, seek, go
Follow the kid up to the hole in the wall that they disappeared through.
On the other side, watch the kid sneak past the devotee. Then, repeat their actions to sneak past the devotee yourself.
Begin by moving to the pillar, then interact with the pile of dirt. Interact with the bell to toss a stone at the bell. Quickly pass to the low wall to the left, and then towards the big stairs. Do not stop until you get to the stairs.
Go up the stairs and then through the archway.
Interact with the kid and then interact with the shelves on the far left of the screen to acquire a key.
Now interact with the door near the kid, and use the key on it. Proceed through the opened doorway.
Thank you for reading this walkthrough of Chants of Sennaar! For other interesting articles about indie games, be sure to check out the links below!
- Into Indie Games Homepage
- Best Indie Games of 2023
- Hauma Walkthrough – Prologue
- En Garde! Review
- The Invincible: Release date, pre-order and everything we know